Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Equipment Cheers

A few things that worked for me.

Brooks B-17 saddle. It's on all my bikes.
Drop bars with interrupter levers. I used a super comfy Ritchey drop bar, and an Ultegra 9 speed brake/shifter setup. I can't imagine using a standard mountain bar rig for this event.
Profile Aero bar. Very useful to take weight off your hands, and for use as a laundry rack.
Revelate Designs bags. Great stuff from Eric in Alaska.
Mavic shoes. Pulse model I think? Very light, comfy off the bike too, great hikeability. Never had a blister!
Wool socks.
Princeton EOS light, helmet mounted.
Garmin eTrek HCx, at least I'm very close on the model name. Typically lasted 5 days on one set o' batts. Modified a RAM mount.
Cannondale glove...model escapes me, but it is full-finger, marketed as a wind/rain glove.
Sugoi shorts. Not at all cheap for the pro model, but worth it. Just dollars per day!
MUSA Wool jersey, long sleeve, from Rivendell Bicycle Works. Worn 20 of 24 days probably, and still presentable.
Maxxis tires, Aspen front, Crosscheck rear. Still many miles left on them.
Lynskey Timberline. I might've liked to pair this with some sort of suspension post. It's a stiff rear and there's a ton of washboard out there!
Rock Shox Reba Revelation. I lubed the uppers with Phil's Tenacious Oil every 2 days or so. Did not lose air, just one aircheck in CO.
Spoon. I always had a spoon. I wasn't raised in a barn. Sporks are for roadies.
Honorable Mention: Even though I should've used a bivy bag, my Montbell Ultra Light Super Spiral Down Hugger #3 Sleeping Bag was
perfect! So fluffy I got by with an auto sunshade as my sleeping pad and had no troubles, even on concrete.

2 comments:

  1. Nice nod to Mom there!
    -Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops! Lynskey Ridgeline, not Timberline, apologies to Lynskey and GT.
    Relavate Designs bags, not Revalate.

    ReplyDelete